Polygamy Now
The unfolding story of polygamy in the United States

Monday, August 06, 2007

Tom Ka Gai Cookoff

Our intentional community has seen a decline in common meals, so I proposed a challenge -- cook up a pot of an exotic soup and we'll see who has the best recipe! I suggested Tom Ka Gai (Thai chicken soup). This wonderful soup is flavored with lemongrass, lime leaves, Thai ginger root, coconut milk, and other unusual and tasty ingredients.

Six cooks stepped forward to take up the challenge. We had no idea how many neighbors would show up to eat, so I cooked a triple recipe (twelve bowls) just in case. Lisa and I provided a good bread and salad for everyone, and the game was on!

The evening was a hit, and many of our neighbors attended, sampled the different soups, and stayed to chat. We've decided to do it again in three weeks, next time choosing Indian food (not soup) as a theme.

My special ingredients were the juice of fresh limes and a Vietnamese fish sauce made from fermented anchovies (not all fish sauces are alike). My recipe got a lot of compliments, but I actually preferred Jocelyn's, which had a richer coconut and more complex pepper taste. David's Indonesian soup was also a winner. Was that curry I tasted? (He's not telling.) Honestly, all the soups were excellent.

You can see the recipe I followed by clicking on the picture of the soup. I modified it somewhat, adding more lime juice and removing the Thai peppers before serving.

If you're looking for a skill that fits well with a family, community, or tribal environment, cooking is a great choice! If you aren't used to cooking for the masses, just start with a recipe for four and scale it upwards. Then invite all your neighbors (or tribemates) for dinner. Mastadon au vin, anyone?
------------------------------
An octogenarian prophet took a beautiful 18-year old bride. The eager young thing burst into the bedroom wearing nothing but a flimsy neglige and asked excitedly, "How'd you like some sup-er sex?" "I'll take the soup," he answered quietly.

Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Call me sometime I wanna find a second wife but don't know how 8124309117 maybe you can suggest a site

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What state do u live? I am in kansas?

1:55 PM  
Blogger EliYaqima said...

Attn: California Love.. Peace be unto you my sistah'.. My ish (husband) and myself are humbly seeking a sister wife to share in the love and dedication we have for one another.. We are very sensitive to the needs of what it takes for our family to be strong and solid.. We are more than interested in communicating with you further.. So please reach out to us so we can share more information and exchange pictures. Looking forward to speaking with you!Our email address is EliYaqima@gmail.com

3:13 PM  
Blogger EliYaqima said...

Attn: California Love.. Peace be unto you my sistah'.. My ish (husband) and myself are humbly seeking a sister wife to share in the love and dedication we have for one another.. We are very sensitive to the needs of what it takes for our family to be strong and solid.. We are more than interested in communicating with you further.. So please reach out to us so we can share more information and exchange pictures. Looking forward to speaking with you!Our email address is EliYaqima@gmail.com

3:15 PM  
Post a Comment